Monday, August 17, 2009

Home (almost) alone

I have finally joined the ranks of blogging stay at home dads, to most hard working adults this would seem like a dream situation. It is easy sheeesh, what isn't to love about it? You get to sit at home and play with your kids, do a little laundry, clean some dishes and make some meals. Oh yeah and did I say play with the kids? Well I was scared to death, Visions of my rambunctious 3 year old running with my Henkel knife collection, discovering how fun fire can be, or build a thermo-nuclear device. You know all the fun things 3 year olds do. Never mind that the knives are on top of the refrigerator, or that the only lighter in the house is in my pocket, or that my subscription to fissionable materials monthly has run out.

Why such fear of my kids and being alone with them? I remember how inquisitive I was at their ages, and how much trouble I should have been in. There was the time that I built ***************(redacted so you will not be prosecuted as an accomplice)***************, but you get the idea.

So, how has it gone today? Well I am glad to say that we have broken no international treaties, nor is there the smell of gas, and the monkey is free of any holes or puncture wounds. He has so far helped me load the dishwasher, clean the yard, and put the clothes in the washer. I can't believe I got worked up so badly but I will be better tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not, nor will I ever say being a stay at home anything is easy. I have known it is one of the most difficult and thankless jobs in the world. Oh and the pay really sucks, but I think my fear of what might happen was really getting to me. I know there will be really bad days but for now, I want to get it down that, there are good days too.

Hmmmm now I wonder if he is luring me in with good behaviour so he can pounce tomorrow. Well I guess I will be as bad tomorrow. I know he can be a handful, and then some...but I am hoping he has forgotten it. Yeah thats it, he just forgot....

3 comments:

twingly's Treehouse said...

OH he hasn't forgot he is just breaking you in slowly!! LOL

Unknown said...

good to know, I will go get my armor ready!

Only Aman said...

LOL - nice job! I am glad the first day worked out for you.